Friday, March 30, 2012

A Sugar Addict's Love Affair

Hi. My name is Bleu and I'm addicted to sugar. 

Like so addicted that it's one of the first things I think about when I wake up. And also one of the last things I think of before sleeping.

And like so addicted that I spend most of my time researching recipes, testing recipes and EATING recipes in which sugar is in the first three ingredients. And usually right next to butter and flour.

I wish I could blame this compulsion to play with sugar on someone else (family, friends, readers), but deep down I know who to blame. Correction: what to blame...

Oh, yeah. The Whoopie Pie. That perfect ratio between moist cake-y goodness and sweet creamy bliss. The perfect little pocket cake.


These Amish treats lead back to the days when the women would send them with farmers as a lunch treat. When they would find them in their lunches, they would shout "Whoopie!"  

I know I would shout if I found one of these delicious treats in my lunch. 


Just look at all that yummy, gooey, chocolatey perfection.


Moist chocolate cake.


Marshmallow cream filling.


And so easy to make, you have no excuses not to join my sugar addiction.









Whoopie Pies
adapted from Betty Crocker

Ingredients
Cookies:
1 box devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons brewed coffee, room temperature
1 box (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding mix 
Filling:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2 cups marshmallow cream
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method
For Cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  
2. To avoid a mixer, combine water, oil, coffee and eggs in a small bowl until well combined. Add to dry mixes using a wooden spoon. Stir by hand approximately 2 minutes. Mix will be VERY thick and requires lots of muscle to mix. (Alternately, you can just combine everything with an electric mixer for about a minute)
3. Using a disher, scoop approximately 1/4 cupfuls onto baking sheets two inches apart. (I fit 6 cookies using true half sheet pans). Flatten slightly with the back of a clean spoon.
4. Bake for 13-16 minutes or until set. Allow to cool on pan for 2 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
For Filling:
1. In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter and marshmallow cream until light and fluffy- about 2 minutes.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix on low to combine, then on high for another 2 minutes.

To assemble:

Using the same disher, scoop filling onto center of one cookie and fit another cookie on top, pressing slightly. 

It's going to look like too much filling, but trust the expert...

You're going to love this sugar rush.


Whoopie!
bleu

No comments:

Post a Comment