Monday, March 26, 2012

Baking with Ice Cream

I LOVE ice cream. 

I mean with the full on "I could survive on nothing but ice cream and be a very happy (albeit somewhat rotund) camper!" love. 

It's hot in Texas. Some people hate that, some love it. I'm more of the "I'll tolerate it" Texan. Mostly, I find it's just more of an excuse to eat ice cream year round. During the winter, one of my favorite desserts is a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with hot caramel sauce.  And a blanket to keep me warm while I chow down.

But that chill can get me no longer! I have found a way to harness the deliciousness of ice cream with out ANY of the chill. I introduce to you, Toffee Crunch Ice Cream BREAD.


Notice how I called that "bread" and not "cake"? There is a method to my madness, I swear.

When I first came across this page, my interest was piqued. Okay, I shouldn't lie... I was obsessed with finding a chance to make it. I didn't waste much time buying ice cream. I went for an easy favorite, Toffee Crunch. It's a simple ice cream with a bit of caramel swirled through it and chunks of chocolate.

I had read that it wasn't sweet, but not really believing that, I figured I'd make it really decadent and use some homemade caramel sauce and some extra mini chocolate chips to liven it up.


After it was all baked, slightly cooled on my table, I had to dive in. I was really surprised. I didn't believe it, but this is NOT a super sweet bread.


It's texture is reminiscent of a pound cake or pudding cake, but it's chewy like bread. And still warm... with a smear of butter... It's perfect!


 You have to try this!


{insert flavor here} Ice Cream Bread
recipe from In Katrina's Kitchen

Ingredients
1.5 quart of your favorite ice cream (full fat! no skimping on calories!)
3 cups self rising flour 
Mix-ins of your choice

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Liberally grease a 12 cup Bundt pan. (It will fit in a 9 cup pan- just know that it will rise over the top.)
2. Soften the ice cream at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
3. Using a stand mixer, combine ice cream with flour. Mix for 2-3 minutes to get the chewy bread texture.
4. Add any mix-ins and fill Bundt pan. Smooth top with a spatula. Bake for 35-45 minutes.
5. Allow to cool slightly in pan, then invert, and allow to cool on a baking rack.

Best eaten day baked, but wrap leftovers well and refrigerate to keep longer.



oh, please try this!

bleu

No comments:

Post a Comment